I tried a new dish this week in my slow cooker that was a hit with the family — Maple Glazed Turkey Breast with Rice. (I substituted chicken breasts for the turkey, though.) The key is to not over cook the ingredients, which sadly I didn’t quite accomplish. Everyone loved it anyway, which is the mark of a good recipe, so I wanted to share it with you.
From Fix It and Forget It:
Maple Glazed Turkey (Chicken) Breast with Rice
- 6-oz pkg long-grain wild rice mix
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2-lb boneless turkey breast (chicken), cut into 1 ½ – 2 inch chunks
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 onion, chopped (I used frozen, about ½ cup)
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt (optional)
Combine all ingredients into the slow cooker. Cook on low 4-6 hours, or until meat and rice are both tender, but not dry or mushy.
Add a salad and steamed green beans, hot coffee or tea and enjoy!
For dessert, try Apple-Blueberry Crunch from Mr. Food’s Home Cookin’ in a Hurry:
- 1 21-oz can apple pie filling
- 1 14-oz package frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar, divided into ¾ of a cup and ¼of a cup.
- 1 18.5 oz white cake mix (can use gluten free–recommend Betty Crocker brand)
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
Preheat oven to 350˚. Spread apple pie filling in a lightly greased 9X13″ pan.
Toss together frozen blueberries and ¾ cup of sugar; spoon over apple pie filling. Sprinkle cake mix evenly over fruit and drizzle with melted butter. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and remaining ¼ cup of sugar.
Bake at 350˚ for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Serve with whipped topping or whipped cream unless you’re brave enough to do ice cream on a cold day.
Note that fruit and cake mix can be changed around to suit your tastes. For example, instead of apple pie filling, try cherry and pair it with chocolate cake. Yum!