I couldn’t even think about putting together a warm meal for your reading, cooking and eating pleasure, so this month it’s cold dishes all the way.
We’ll start with a cool, sweet fruit dish–Mango Lettuce Wraps
From Quick-Fix Vegetarian, page 27:
- 2 T freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 T pure maple syrup or agave syrup
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 1 tsp minced fresh chives
- 1 very ripe mango, peeled, halved, and pitted
- 4 large or 8 small Boston lettuce leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped peanuts or pistachios for garnish
In a small bowl combine the lime juice and maple syrup until well blended. Set aside.
Cut the radishes into thin matchstick julienne strips and add to the bol with the lime sauce. Add the chives and toss gently to coat.
Cut the mango halves lengthwise into thin slices. Place a few slices of the mango on each lettuce leaf and arrange on a platter or individual plates. Top with the radish mixture and a few grinds of black pepper. Garnish with the chopped nuts and serve.
Next on the menu is Open-faced Tomato and Mozzarella Sandwiches
(These are delicious!)
- 4 fresh, plain bagels, sliced across (flat halves)
- 2 fresh medium-sized tomatoes
- 16 oz block mozzarella cheese
- Dried Basil
- Balsamic vinegar
Wash and core tomatoes and slice into medium-thickness round sections. Slice mozzarella into thin strips.
On each bagel half, layer two ounces worth of mozzarella strips and toast lightly. Remove carefully and divide among four plates. Place a slice of tomato on each half. Sprinkle with basil and dribble balsamic vinegar over the top of the tomato. I like to make a pretty pattern just for fun.
Place one or two mango wraps on each plate and serve.
For dessert, try this smoothie recipe that my husband perfected:
- 2 kale leaves (washed)
- 1 peeled and sectioned orange
- 1 cored apple (washed)
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- approx. 1/2 cup of ice
- 1 cup of vanilla almond milk
Add stevia or the sweetener of your choice to taste. Blend and serve.
Delicious and non-sweat inducing. Enjoy!